Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, February 14, 2005

Internet, Aristotle on money-making

The Internet has been a fantastic resource for me; especially since I am far, far away from the traditional information resources on anarchy, and since the University last bought a book in 1983, and even then it was in Russian. Google, Wikipedia and Project Gutenberg (many good primary texts there) have been particularly useful. My major gripe is that so few philosophical journals are freely available on the Net, but that has nothing to do with the Internet and everything to do with ivory towers, fat cats with blinkers, and somewhat surprising moral deficiencies.

In fact, I first discovered anarchism (as a philosophical/political theory) on the Internet, and, hence, one of a few reason why I'm blogging my examination of the State's moral justification and the moral justification of a few anarchistic alternatives. It's a gift economy, Gates. A gift economy.

Issues surrounding gift economies, scarcity, reciprocity will be crucial later on (at the moment, having pegged down what the State is, and having settled on moral justification instead of legitimacy, I'm currently working on getting a grip on the ethics I'll be using) for my project, as vaguely suggested in Friday's post on anarcho-capitalism. And, following on from that post, here's Aristotle on money-making:

"The life of money-making is one undertaken under compulsion, and wealth is evidently not the good we are seeking; for it is merely useful and for the sake of something else." (The Nicomachean Ethics, Book I, Section 5)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home