Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Marcus Aurelius

Forget gazing at the mirror and mouthing 'I am worth it', or 'I will succeed', or even 'Hey beautiful'. Dangerous modern pyschobabble. Instead, learn from Marcus Aurelius (121AD-180AD):

"Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today inquisitive, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men."--Meditations, ii-1

Speaking of lessons old, my copy of Meditations was printed in 1967 by Everyman's Library, which managed to put out a paperback that has lasted for damn close to forty years. Oxford University Press could pick up a tip or two here (see my previous post: OUP & Ethics).

Meditations, like many other classics, is available as an e-text. You can find it here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home