Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Ubuntu

Last night, Fred gave me the installation CD for Ubuntu (Debian-derived, Linux system). Thanks, man.

Apparently, Ubuntu shouldn't be as easy to break as Mandrake 10.0 was. Maybe Mandrake is a good system, but I found it hell on silicon. Not that I know much about how Linux works (the command line stuff continues to boggle me). Still, as a frustrated end-user, I'm looking forward to wiping Mandrake off my system at home, and installing Mark Shuttleworth's (local boy made good) open-source effort.

Why not just install Windows and be done with it? It is a philosophical thing. I like the idea of open-source software (I'll have much more to say about this when I get to discussing technoanarchism), and, even though I'm not a software developer, I want to support the open-source movement. The best way I can do that is to actually use open-source software. Hence, Linux at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home